Ocean Yoga Recap AND "Deep Breathing Jellyfish" Craft
Thanks to everyone that came out in the unseasonably cool June temperatures to join us for OCEAN YOGA! If you missed it, here’s a quick recap of the fun we had becoming various ocean creatures from the book, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell. We learned:
- Modified Child’s Pose (or Rock Pose with hands on feet) to become SHELLS
- Reverse Table Pose to become CRABS
- Jellyfish Pose (like Happy Baby, but with arms and legs straight up in the air and gently swaying from side to side) to become FISH
- Flamingo Pose (like the one linked here, but we put our knees straight up, not out to the side) to become GULLS
- Half and Full Bow Pose to become PAILS
- Ball Pose to become SAND
- Warrior II Pose to become WAVES
- and Partner Dragon Pose (lunging facing your partner with opposite knees up and arms overhead with palms touching) to become SAND CASTLES
We also completed an ocean-themed craft that actually served as a tool to practice deep breathing. If you missed this class, here are the simple materials and instructions to make DEEP BREATHING JELLYFISH:
- Paper plate
- Various colored party streamers or pieces of ribbon
- Scotch tape
- Stick on googly eyes (optional)
- Markers or crayons
- Cut your paper plate in half.
- Cut your streamers or ribbon into foot-long strips. 5-6 strips should be plenty.
- Using the scotch tape, affix the streamers or ribbon to the lower back of the paper plate along the edge you cut. Attach them side-by-side to make the jellyfish tentacles.
- Flip the plate over and attach the googly eyes or draw on eyes with a marker.
- Use the marker to make any other facial features you’d like. We made smiles, eyebrows, and even glasses!
- Holding your jellyfish in front of your face, take a deep breath in through your nose. As you blow out through your mouth, see if you can make the tentacles dance with the breeze you’re creating. Try to make them sway very gently with your nice, deep, strong breath.
We had a great time creating our jellyfish and an even better time making them sway with our deep breathing.
Next month, Yoga & Story Time is all about THE ZOO! We will move our bodies, use our imaginations, and even practice making zoo animal sounds! ZOO YOGA & STORY TIME will be on July 29th at 1pm at YOGA HAPPENS HERE in Pekin and on July 31st at 10am and 5:30 pm at THE PATH CENTER FOR HEALING in Galesburg.
Contact me to pre-register for this class that’s sure to have us moving and laughing!